Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Element of Style

Add skatestyle to your kiting

This is the sequel to the art of soul. Each of us when we kite have a vision of what it is supposed to look like. Yesterday's post talked about soul of the equipment, today we are going to take a look at how to look good riding that gear. When I teach, I use efficiency as a standard to get my students from A to B. As a rider progresses, techniques improve. Yet, I see everyday the same thing, a rider who attempts to do a trick without mastering some of the elements of style. An example of this is when you jump do you grab? Grabs are a key elements in make what ever trick you do look better. Watching Shawn Richman for the last two years, it is sometimes hard to noice his grabs. But trust me, they are there. He sometimes fails the trick because of the extra effort of the grab.
Watch the video, this is my good buddy Brad Edwards skateboarding. I grew up surfing and skating with Brad. He was always amazing. Watch the extent of flow Brad creates when pulling of his move. He combines new tricks while throwing down some old school style. Now, next time in the water, throw a grab, hold...repeat.

No comments: