Friday, January 8, 2010

The Elephant in the Room


Many kiters get to the beach, look out over the horizon, and see moderate conditions. What are moderate conditions? For Maui anything below 15, but most likely for everyone else, below 12. It is all about perspective. My personal theory is: you want to be the guy out there, instead of the guy talking about the guy "out there." My biggest mistake coming to this island was selling my 16m. I feel the chuckling over the web. But, the 16 is a very useful tool in the quiver. In the past, I mastered the 16, and now all that talent has gone to waste. Kiting on a 16 is like floating down a river, smooth and easy. The kite can be a little intimidating, the sheer volume and size. Steady as the moon, cruising down the street in a motorhome, you feel good, comfortable....relaxed. Just don't drop it on the biggest wave on the set, or the elephants will come running out of the circus tent.

Report: 10 to 14mph. Only the 16's with surfboards were invited to this party. The surf was a solid overhead, running DOH (double overhead) out the back. Forecast...light for a couple of days, then trades on Monday. Also, on Monday the return of Jaws for the fourth time. This one looks big, we'll see.

1 comment:

Maui Kite Rentals said...

Hey Rick,

14m and Surfboard did it as well.
I agree that a big kite is needed on Maui even it it is just for a dozen or so days a year. So I am getting a 15m cheap from a buddy of mine, then of course the wind will come and I will store it until the next time.Consider this my sacrafice to wind gods, hope it works

See ya at the beach.