Friday, January 22, 2010

The Art of Soul: Part1

Foam Dust

Kiteboarding is a new sport taking on attributes of an old one. Surfing is the mother of all extreme water sports. Born from the ancients, it has now crossed cultures and boundaries. Kiteboarding is a child. It has growth pains and is still in the learning process. Being a veteran 27 year surfer, it pains me to see many a rider going out for a session without the slightest knowledge of it's predecessor. Like the ancients, I believe part of the man transgresses his blood, sweat and tears when he shapes his board. I love the idea that someone shaped my board. In contrast, I don't like mass produced boards. Ironically, my twin-tip and kite could be popped by the millions from China and I really don't care. But, for me, surfboards are personal. My life has revolved around them for 3/4 of my life.
Watch the short above and you'll see the years of experience that goes into the shape of that board. Everything he does, is feel. Just like the bar, feel is has the greatest impact on style. Each shaping stroke is one motion, elongated, flowing and sculpting an image. Image and thought create the board, not the machine cranking out 033942. Each board has a personality and story, not just a serial number.

No comments: