Friday, December 17, 2010

The Great Escape

Old Man Winter

As the winter starts to come down, most kiting has disappeared like the wind. The daily routine is the same, but I am laid-off. Deep tracks worn in the sand are gone, replaced by a gentle sloping beach; pristine albeit a dog walker or fisherman. There are days of surf and no wind. I still make the drive down Haleakala, car filled with surfboards, my dog or kites all landing at kitebeach or beyond. Surfing in Maui can be incredible or crowded and even both. Switching gears from kiting to surfing is just a physical thing. Getting those muscles back only to be lost once the wind returns. Every summer I get lots of comments about grinding the beach everyday, and why I work so hard. Simply put, just a squirrel putting away the nuts. My body is healed, and now I can focus on the season ahead. New tricks, many many more waves and expanding my teaching knowledge. If you want to be a kiteboard instructor you have to know how manage your winter.

No comments: