Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Kite Source: Answering Kiteforums Conundrums:2

Question: Volare: The Movie

Answer: Volare is the latest mini movie from Flysurfer. Now, if you don't know about Flysufer it is the latest and greatest in the foil kite industry. There were many posts about this vid, some hot some cold; some as being totally out of date, to others defending the riders to the core. For full disclosure, Toby who runs Kiteforum is the main star of the movie. Now, I watched it twice, and here are the results: At first, I was giggling like a school girl, at the tricks. The spins, oh the spins, how many can we throw, circling the kite, higher and higher. The board offs, the deadman's, the flicks, twists, twirls, flicks, bounces, bumps, flicks, flops, jolts, pulls, quakes, quivers, shivers, snags, thrusts, tugs, tweaks, twitches, wiggles, wrenches, wriggles, and yanks. I kept thinking, "boy are these kites big" Then it came to me, we all watched Shawn White in the Olympics...just so much better, higher, faster, not to mention style. So, I rate this movie...HTTM...Hot Tub Time Machine. These guys are dreaming they could go back in time and win the 2002 King of the Air. (Did you notice how Toby looked a little like me...but missing the front portion of his hair????)

Volare: Let's get this party started

VOLARE - The Movie from Flysurfer Kiteboarding on Vimeo.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This video was awesome...with conditions. I sit on Kitebeach and random tourist drive up after getting off the plane and grabbing a rental car on their way to Lahaina and seem to be sooooo impressed with Big Airs over the little supertech tricks thrown in the Pro Pool. To be honest I can't name half the tech tricks those guys throw but know they are super hard and I cant even attempt them. Everyone needs to stop fighting over others style. If everyone did the same thing then their would be no style. Look pointing your toes when you do super large boardoff trick is a little gay...but my wife was a spring board diver for the US national team so I know that taking the time to point them perfectly is way the hell harder. But once again...this is Kiteboarding and not diving or figure skating - its a little gay. But how can anyone not be so impressed by the guys board handeling skills (or should I say juggeling skills). Everyone go Hulu.com and watch Shaun White: Project X. That is style and difficulty and AMPLITUDE mixed together which rightly = GOLD MEDALS. This sport needs to have guys going HUGE doing technical tricks...tech tricks are cool but if your not going to go big then what are you... A WAKEBOARDER!

Anonymous said...

Why no report today KiteDude? I'm sitting here in Kihei and there's a little pressure, enough to ride. Maybe we need to address some of that North Shore snobbery....great places to ride all over Maui, not just Kanaha with all the other lemmings. Besides you are the MAUI kitebeach report!

Rick Dobrowski said...

Charlie...good thoughts....Kitedude says, "It's Kitebeach report.." I know, I do some reporting from the otherside...But today I had to get my life in order for the next 14 day wind stretch!!!

tom Briggs said...

Where to you go to find wind with FLAT water????