Sunday, May 2, 2010

When things grow legs...


Recently, I had a reader ask me about buying gear on Craig's List. He went on to tell me the guy sounded sketchy and really didn't know much about the gear. He wondered, "How do I know if this wasn't stolen?" So, I scoured the web to look for specific rules or what to do's to know if the new kite you just bought doesn't end up at the cop shop as evidence. What I found or for that manner didn't find, made me think...I need to come up with rules! So here are my rules:
Lost and Found:
1. Mark all kites, boards and harnesses with your name, you number and reward.
2. Write down the serial #'s and put it in a drawer.
3. You come to the beach with 4 things: Kite/lease, bar/lines, harness, board; leave with them too.
Now things get a little contradicting,
4. Don't give the homeless money for reward, call the police.
5. Ask around all beaches, check the schools, check the shops, ask the homeless and offer a reward, check on-line, ie. Craig's List, check pawn shops, leave notes.
6. If you find stuff, give it to the schools or hold it for at least 1 month, put a post on Craig's list, talk to everyone. Don't expect a reward but if you get one it's a nice gesture. Give a reward cause it's a nice gesture.

Buying Kites:

1. If you can afford it, buy from your local retailer.
2. Buy from friends that you know or referrals of friends.
3. On Craig's list, ask lot's of questions, if the guy know his stuff it should be alright.
4. If it sounds suspect then, back out and report to Craig's List as fraud or scam.


OK, here are some general rules, I'd really like some reponces, suggestions, are any other ideas you have about this. Really, I don't need stories. So, in this case, the more rules, the better. Aloha and good luck

2 comments:

Tom Briggs said...

How about a lost and found section on Mauikitebeachreport.com....

Rick Dobrowski said...

I was thinking about it...let me talk to my tech guy