Friday, December 18, 2009

Wind Forcasting Basics


OK, so you want to know what the wind is going to do today, tomorrow or even next week. Let's be real, the live report is the best. But, there is a certain procedure that I follow that is really easy. Luckily, all the information is right on the web so you don't have to go far to find it. Here is the websites that I use for forecasting: Windguru, Ikitesurf, Stormsurf, Maui Weather Today and Guy Hagi on TV. Now, I look at the forecast tables for the week. This is done by a computer pretty reliable, but not perfect. These tables will give you a general idea of the longevity that the wind is going to blow,ie.how many days or weeks in a row. Then, I check the direction of the wind. Now, during trade wind times E,ENE, I add 6 on the low end and double the high end to the wind speed. If the models say 14, I think it's going to 20 to 28. These winds are usually more gusty. Strange, but true. Now, for NE I just add 6 with a smaller variance: 14= 18 to 22. For North winds, I take it a straight face value 14=14. Now, to see into the future I go to Stormsurf. I check on Hawaii map icon on the homepage. On the top right toolbar is the SLP (Sea Level Pressure) I click on this and watch. I am looking for a strong high pressure(H) area North and East of the Islands. This high pressure is like a pin- wheel throwing wind in our direction. This is where our wind comes from. During the winter months, keep an eye on North and West. These lows(L) can take away our wind. These storms need fuel, so the wind get's sucked into the low(L), making it Kona.

No comments: