Sunday, December 27, 2009

Another man's trash....Rules of Old Kites


One man's trash is another man's treasure. So, with the El Nino in full effect there is a lot of time to get prepared; getting my gear in order for the next year is a number one priority. For about the last six months, my biggest kite is 7.5. You laugh, but I can go with winds in the mid to high teens. Albeit, a miserable downwind "run", still, getting the gills wet is very important. I made a pact with Maui when I first got here, and we respect each other. So, with the El Nino in full force, I asked Maui for a bigger kite. I waited with patience. Within a week or two, a neighbor instructor was throwing away two kites that had problems...an 11m Takoon and a 12m Naish. Both kites older and beat up. I took it to Karen (she fixes all the kites), we fixed the bladder, and she repaired all the rips. So, for a little fee, and a little time I am back in business...at least until it blows less than 10....
Rules for Old Kites:
1. If you don't have to sell, don't.
2. Keep the old ones as spares...Lanes is a great place to eject an old kite
3. Part out all pieces, including lines.
4. Recycle out kites..you can figure it out
5. Don't sell really old kites to beginners....scary
6. If you move to a windy spot, keep your big kites (vice-versa)
7. Lastly, find, fix, test and sell...get a new one!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please give us more tips on ejecting old kites at lanes, I am scared to ride there and I heard that was your favorite spot to rip on maui!!!