Friday, December 4, 2009

The Next Best Thing.

A funny thing happened on the way to the beach today. We had no kites, and there was no wind. So, we surfed. Just down from Lanes is Ho'opkia. This spot, when on, is pretty damn good. The swell was dropping: 6 to 12 foot faces rolling in, with the occasional sleeper set. On the way out, I commented to my buddy Sam that it had been a long time since I had surfed last. "No worries, we'll just catch a couple" Easy as that. Being a kiter, I sometimes forget how fun surfing is, and how outta shape I really am. (surfshape)I just have to laugh at not being powered up by my kite all the time. The paddle, the timing, the takeoff: all a part of the game. Yet, I was a little off. We actually were taking some video, and the usual problems arose....Where are they? I think I got em? Is that...no...? Great wave...oh no.. the power turned off! So as it turns out you should have seen us, dropping in on the bombs, sliding into the pocket, getting shacked... Right? Right.

No comments: