Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Big Picture

Get your lines ready!!!?

This morning I got two new kite magazines to peruse for my morning routine. Just as usual, I was looking at all the pictures, read some of the articles and laugh at the gear reviews. I got a little deeper and saw subject that has been passed around kite beach: group kiting. The idea that there has a be a big event to draw thousands of kiters to kite together for some race, event or charity is ludicrous. I was talking my buddy Kacey yesterday and the BVI kite jam came up. According to him, there is a small number of kiters on the island. Real Kiteboarding shows up at their doorstep with 300 hundred kiters. Can you imagine trying to get a session in at your local break. Then, I was looking at the La Ventana crossing, and was amazed by all the kites jamming out to the island and back. This recent trend is disturbing. The most laughable "kite party" is someone is trying to organize a world record kite crossing here on Maui. Let's not forget the Mai-Tai event in May. Sad, but true.

Realistically, these are all good in spirit, but reality do nothing for the local kiter or community at large. I come from a surfing background and the main objective was to escape from the crowds, not join them. All these clinics, jams, events seem to always be put on by outsiders trying to cash in, whether through straight-up money or indirect advertising. For me, I always love to take to on the lone wolf, ready for action to do some lessons, not the masses flapping like locusts devouring the countryside.

If you need me, I'll be downwind, in front of the harbour...by myself or with a friend or two...Aloha and Good Luck

3 comments:

Tom Briggs said...

Could not agree more!

Tom Briggs said...

Could not agree more!

Anonymous said...

BVI Kite Jam and Real's Trip to the BVI are two separate events at two different times of the year; Kite Jam is Pro Am with a max of 50 kiters and some of the best pros hitting all the best spots, kitting together for the love of the sport. Have a look at www.bvikitejam.com