Friday, January 14, 2011

Sprout and Bore

This video is sent from my buddy Albert, one of my students in Alaska doing the stand-up paddle on the tidal bore. I love to see the stoke of surfing reaching it's way all the to our cold cousin to the north.
Albert shot me this e-mail, "Check it out. I'm feeling this 10 seconds is probably as close as I'll get to my '15 minutes'. I'm in the video one over from the closest guy on the shot taken on the wave."
Cook Inlet, east of Anchorage, extends inland, it splits into the Turnagain Arm and the Knik Arm. The Turnagain Arm runs east/west and is 10 miles wide, narrowing to almost nothing over the course of 40 miles where it meets Twentymile River.
Everyday, each one us loves the ride. It is truly a special blessing that has been bestowed upon us. Don't kid, it's all about the ride. I read recently, "So while you are tethered I can at the very least tell you how it is to live this lifestyle." This lifestyle, as referred by the quote, is in the context of kiting on Maui. Realistically, being "tethered" means having a job, supporting a family, and having a culturally homogenized partial existence. For those lessened individuals, the gravity of a society that crushes their souls into dust are lucky to have people remind us of the dissimularity. For the rest of us, we need to be enlightened from our mouthiness and mundane essence.
Albert and his crew journey with Aloha back to Alaska. Taking their time, money and possibly their safety for the pure enjoyment of the ride and the magic of the moment. Only the art of the ride can sprout uniqueness and diversity from our cold neighbors of the north.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A soulful stoke! Almost makes you wanna get a drysuit
and head to AK.

Hamburger said...

I bet that was fun.

Rick Dobrowski said...

Sometimes calling someone "mouthy" is like pointing your finger at someone...one finger points, the other three point right back at you. Aloha