Monday, November 16, 2009

A case of the East Infection

Degrees. There are 360 in a circle, but at Kitebeach only 90 count. Everyday I watch and launch many kites off the beach. It is one of my favorite things that entertain me. When an instructor launches, there is little fanfare. But, the peanut gallery really revs up when the visiting kiter makes his or her first attempt. I have seen so many kites in the trees it is unbelievable. So, I am going to tell you how it is. First, just take a look at the pro pool and the flags. Many times you might have to drift launch. If you don't know how to do this it's best that you take a lesson. Talk to local kiters, most will give some good advice. Next, don't put your kite at 12, trust me there is nothing up there but disappointment. I know, at your beach you walk up and down, sit there with the kite in the air and talk to your buddy about that great backroll you just did. Get to the water....NOW! Make your life easier and put your board in your upwind hand. No Canadian grip. Lastly, this goes to everyone: riders, pros, instructors, students; the launcher has priority. I cringe every time I see somebody come in patting their head trying to get a land when there are 3 kiters walking off the beach. Wait your turn, go back out for one more jump, let everybody clear out. When it's Easty, gusty and nasty, you'll be thankful that you got into the water safely. This is my theme: if any of this is foreign to you....take a lesson.

No comments: